Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Favorite Whole in the Wall...Maybe Baby

Last night we decided to order sausage rolls from our favorite local "hole in the wall"-our prebaby favorite "whole in the wall".

I wanted to spend time with my brother before he takes of for his ARMY Leadership training, 50 days in Seattle. After several 3 way phone conversations we decide to order sausage rolls and gather at my brothers pad. We were looking forward to some of our favorite food, drinks, and games. We didn't have to worry about the kiddo, he could come along, play, eat, and sleep.

My husband ordered 4 specialty sausage rolls. I would pick up the kiddo on my way home and then stop at the pizza joint.

The only problem is that this favorite yocal local is a bar. Yes, a bar. I park, get the kiddo out, and lock the car. I enter the establishment and walk up to the front counter to get my carryout order. The waitress promptly and rudely let's me know that "This is a bar, YOU CAN"T BRING A BABY IN A BAR". It suddenly dawns on me, I have my 1 year old in a bar. It is just the front entrance, I am technically not at the bar. I just want my carry out.

"Well, can I just get my order so that I can leave?"
"You can't have a baby in a bar"
"Yes, you said that, can I just quickly get my carryout and go?"
"Your gonna have to take him out to the car and come back"
"Ummm...No, I will not leave my baby in the car and come back in. Is there a manager?"
"You can't bring a baby in a bar."
"You've explained that, I actually could have paid for my order by now and left. Is there a manager?"
"Just a moment" She goes to get the bartender.

Bartender, "I am sorry but You will need to go drop off the kid and come back."
"If I am leaving, I will not be back to pick up my $45 worth of sausage rolls. Ridiculous, I could have had the order and be home by now"
"Then we will not allow you to place another carryout order."

At this point I am sweating, Colton is getting antsy, and I just really want to leave. I am also thinking, "well since you are all so obviously the brightest bulbs in the box, what will stop me from ordering again under a different name and having my husband pick them up."

Did I get the carry out order? Yes.

Is there a lesson here? Probably. I am still pondering the event. I am thinking that being a momma now, things have changed. Things are no longer as simple, things take more time, more planning, more help. And, in a moment, without notice any sort of planning can go right out the window and be, "just that simple".

1 comment:

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

What a bunch! How did you get the order eventually?